Visitors guide


We welcome all visitors to our monastery. If you are interested in visiting our monastery, please send us an email and let us know your plans (see Contact page). We have a nice guest house here at the monastery. The nearest town is just a short distance away and we would be happy to accommodate you to the best of our ability.

Any foreigner who wishes to visit the Mundgod Tibetan Refugee Settlement and Shar Gaden Monastery requires a Protected Area Permit (PAP), which is issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. The application takes three months process. Requirements for PAP are as follows:

One Photocopy of Passport

One Photocopy of Visa

Two Recent Passport -Size Photographs.

Completed and Signed PAP Application.

Download PAP Application here.

For those who wish to visit our monastery, please click the link below to download the P.A.P. application. This must be completed and sent back to our administration office in order for us to file it with the Indian authorities. For those who wish to also visit other monasteries in the Tibetan colonies, please include this information as well. For example;  if you desire to visit the Tibetan settlement in Bylakuppe, include this on the application, along with Mundgod, on question 13: ‘Places Proposed to Visit’.


Below is a picture of the Shar Gaden Monastery Guest House

guest house